Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 84506 - could not start kdeinit
Summary: could not start kdeinit
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Raw Hide
Classification: Retired
Component: kdelibs
Version: 1.0
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Ngo Than
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: 79578
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2003-02-18 05:04 UTC by Michael Wardle
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:38 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-02-18 15:27:41 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Michael Wardle 2003-02-18 05:04:13 UTC
Description of problem: 
After upgrading many packages (including XFree86 and kde*) from Phoebe to Raw Hide, 
I now get an error message when attempting to start a KDE desktop session. 
 
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 
kdelibs-3.1-7 
kdebase-3.1-7 
 
How reproducible: 
Always 
 
Steps to Reproduce: 
1. Boot system in run level 5 (use either GDM or KDM) 
2. Enter user name and password, select KDE session 
     
Actual results: 
An error dialog box appears with the text "Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation" 
soon after the KDE splash screen appears.  The KDE session appears to otherwise start as 
expected, however some settings are lost, such as my mouse orientation (reset from 
left-handed to right-handed). 
 
Expected results: 
No error dialog box appears.  All user settings are loaded. 
 
Additional info: 
This message appears to come from the startkde script. 
 
I have tried quitting my KDE session, killing all instances of kded, dcopserver, and other 
processes that appear to be related, removing all entries in /tmp and all DCOP files in my 
home directory (which is NFS mounted), and starting a new KDE session, but the error 
message still occurs.  I have also tried rebooting. 
 
I have only upgraded the packages required to get the latest versions of X and KDE working. 
These include: 
- XFree86, XFree86-libs 
- kernel 
- kdelibs, kdebase, kdeartwork, kdenetwork 
- arts 
- cups 
- redhat-artwork

Comment 1 Ngo Than 2003-02-18 15:27:41 UTC
i have got some similar bug reports about this problem. I don't know why the
upgrade from phoebe/arlier beta to beta5 caused this problem. But the fix for
this problem is a complett new installation from Beta5.

Notice: This bug only appears in the beta 


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.