Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 82799 - ptal-init setup fails when using UTF-8 locale
Summary: ptal-init setup fails when using UTF-8 locale
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 82652
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: hpoj
Version: 9
Hardware: athlon
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Tim Waugh
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2003-01-26 18:56 UTC by Elias Mårtenson
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:38 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-02-21 18:51:25 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Elias Mårtenson 2003-01-26 18:56:30 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 Galeon/1.2.7 (X11; Linux i686; U;) Gecko/20021216

Description of problem:
When running "ptal-init setup" after installing the hpoj drivers, the script
successfully manages to detect the printer (in my case an HP OfficeJet K60) but
after setting everything up, "ptal-init setup" exited with an error message.

WORKAROUND
----------
If I start the progam using the wollowing command instead, it works:

    $ LC_ALL=C ptal-init setup


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
Start "ptam-init setup" with an HP OfficeJet K60 printer attached to the USB bus.


Actual Results:  Currently defined device names ([*]=default):
    *** The following devices are using an obsolete configuration
    *** file format.  Use "/usr/sbin/ptal-init setup"
    *** to delete and re-probe them:
    --> "mlc:usb:OfficeJet_K60"
 
A system-wide default device name is not currently defined.
 
Press <Enter> alone to continue with no default,
or enter a new default device name here --->

-----
here you are back at the shell prompt with an incorrect printer installation


Expected Results:  The printer should have been installed.


Additional info:

The installer has a problem reading the configuration file it created. I did
this on a sunday, and "sunday" in swedish is "s�ndag" (note the special
character). The current date is pasted into the generated config file which
could be the cause of the problem.

I did try to remove the (possibly) offending character but it still wouldn't
accept the configuration. I only managed to get it to run after re-probing with
LC_ALL set to C.

Comment 1 Elias Mårtenson 2003-01-26 18:57:58 UTC
I forgot to report my locale settings:

ale$ locale
LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="sv_SE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
ale$


Comment 2 Tim Waugh 2003-01-26 19:51:48 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 82652 ***

Comment 3 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-02-21 18:51:25 UTC
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.