Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 80732 - Help screens mostly empty - GUI
Summary: Help screens mostly empty - GUI
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Public Beta
Classification: Retired
Component: docbook-style-xsl
Version: phoebe
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Tim Waugh
QA Contact: Mike McLean
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2002-12-30 15:58 UTC by Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Modified: 2007-04-18 16:49 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-01-07 12:56:39 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
test xml file (deleted)
2003-01-04 22:44 UTC, Jeremy Katz
no flags Details
stripped down stylesheet (deleted)
2003-01-04 22:44 UTC, Jeremy Katz
no flags Details

Description Trond Eivind Glomsrød 2002-12-30 15:58:53 UTC
Most of the help text seem to go AWOL when doing GUI installs in Norwegian.

Comment 1 Bill Nottingham 2003-01-01 06:15:06 UTC
Do translations actually exist for norwegian?

Comment 2 Trond Eivind Glomsrød 2003-01-01 12:19:41 UTC
Yes, they're cut off mid-sentence so most of the content is gone. I'd guess it's
related to 8 bit chars wrt. UTF-8

Comment 3 Michael Fulbright 2003-01-02 22:53:25 UTC
Help me out - is this a rendering issue for anaconda or just bad translations?

Comment 4 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-03 00:24:53 UTC
docbook-style-xsl isn't following the specified encoding from the online.xsl
stylesheet.  In html/docbook.xsl, it has a hardcoded charset of ISO8859-1 which
is pretty bogus (and not present in 1.50.0 from 8.0)

Tim?

Comment 5 Tim Waugh 2003-01-03 09:01:11 UTC
Seems like it's been that way for ever.  1.50.0-3 has it.  I agree that it looks
suspicious.

Are you using xmlto for the conversion?  I made a change recently to do with
encodings that might be causing problems.  I can easily back that out as a quick
work-around.

Comment 6 Tim Waugh 2003-01-03 09:22:18 UTC
This seems to be a known problems with the stylesheets.  See:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200301/msg00009.html


Comment 7 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-03 22:56:50 UTC
Backing down to the older docbook-style-xsl + xmlto works, but I can't just back
down xmlto due to requirements.  So I guess we need to make our own customized
output thing?

Comment 8 Tim Waugh 2003-01-03 23:03:00 UTC
Please try xmlto-0.0.12-2, which aims to restore the previous working state.

Comment 9 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-04 22:43:54 UTC
Still fails.  But, if I ignore the dep on newer docbook-style-xsl and back down
to the one we shipped in 8.0, it's fine.  Attaching a pair of simple files which
can be used to reproduce

xmlto -o test html -m test.xsl test.xml

Comment 10 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-04 22:44:28 UTC
Created attachment 89134 [details]
test xml file

Comment 11 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-04 22:44:53 UTC
Created attachment 89135 [details]
stripped down stylesheet

Comment 12 Tim Waugh 2003-01-04 23:14:26 UTC
I found that you can add:

<xsl:param name="chunker.output.encoding" select="'UTF-8'"/>

to get the right result.  I'll ask upstream why this doesn't default to
$default.encoding.

Comment 13 Jeremy Katz 2003-01-05 03:48:53 UTC
Added to the stylesheet used for the help and rebuilt with the change.  I'm
perfectly happy for now to just have something to get it working :)

Comment 14 Tim Waugh 2003-01-07 12:56:39 UTC
Apparently chunker.output.encoding is the new name, and default.encoding
shouldn't be used any more for chunking output.

Comment 15 Tim Waugh 2004-07-01 11:25:46 UTC
I'm taking out this patch in rawhide -- hopefully things have moved on
now and it won't cause problems this time.  xmlto-0.0.18-4.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.