Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 671 - segfault in rpm 2.5.* while doing rpm -i or rpm -U
Summary: segfault in rpm 2.5.* while doing rpm -i or rpm -U
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: rpm
Version: 5.2
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jeff Johnson
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 1999-01-03 01:55 UTC by Steven Pritchard
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 1999-01-04 21:58:41 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Steven Pritchard 1999-01-03 01:55:19 UTC
rpm 2.5.* segfaulted while trying to upgrade various
packages that apparently have shared files.  A bit of
debugging on 2.5.7 (from the rawhide srpm) showed that the
segfault was happening on line 1324 of lib/install.c, which
reads as follows (in case that number isn't right):

        state =
secFileStatesList[sharedList[i].secFileNumber];

Apparently secFileStatesList was NULL, which caused the
segfault.  Not knowing anything about the code, I wasn't
sure why that was NULL, but on a whim I tried wrapping that
little block (the line above plus the 7 lines after it) in
#if 0.  I don't know what that's likely to have broken, but
it did let me install the packages.

This happened while trying to upgrade to the 5.2 rpms from a
(*ahem*) rather personalized 5.1 system (former Slackware
2.0 system hand-upgraded to rh 4.something on up to 5.2
now).  My guess would be that there is some sort of
inconsistency in the rpm database, but that's only a wild
guess.  I tried several versions of rpm.  (I'm afraid I
didn't keep track of exactly with ones, but I think I tried
the versions from 5.1, 5.2, and the current rawhide.)

Comment 1 David Lawrence 1999-01-04 20:23:59 UTC
This bug has been assigned to a developer for further review.
Please mail any patches or diffs as described in the bugzilla
instruction pages.

Comment 2 Jeff Johnson 1999-01-04 21:58:59 UTC
Your guess that the segfault is caused by incorrect
information retrieved from the database appears
correct.
Try "rpm --rebuilddb" after any/every rpm segfault. Please
reopen this bug if the problem persists after doing
"rpm --rebuilddb"


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.