Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 63071 - Xircom CBEM56G Excessively Slow
Summary: Xircom CBEM56G Excessively Slow
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED WONTFIX
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: kernel-pcmcia-cs
Version: 7.2
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Dave Jones
QA Contact: Brian Brock
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2002-04-09 19:51 UTC by David Crim
Modified: 2015-01-04 22:01 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2004-11-25 08:16:44 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description David Crim 2002-04-09 19:51:12 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.8) Gecko/20020212

Description of problem:
This is a simular problem to those reported for RedHat 7.0 bug 21802 and 7.1 bug
37454, but it hasn't been registered for RedHat 7.2

I have been using a Xircom CBEM56G on a Dell Latitude CPx H500 under RedHat 7.2.
This laptop used to work great under RedHat 6.2. It has always had problems with
newer releases unless I rebuilt the kernel with an old PCMCIA driver set from
the 6.2 days.

The default installtion sets up networking, but I only get between 10 Mbits/sec
and 20 Mbits/sec throughput.



Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel-2.4.9-21
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-10

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RedHat 7.2 and updates
2. Use networking (netperf -H another_machine_runing_netserver)
	

Actual Results:  Networking is very slow. Netperf reports less than 20 Mbits/sec.

Expected Results:  This is a 100 Mbit/sec and Modem combo card. I expect
something close to 100 Mbit/sec.

Additional info:

Recently I am having some success with a 2.4.9-21 kernel. Using netperf
perfomance went form < 20 Mbits/sec to > 75 Mbits/sec between machines attatched
to the same switch, a Netgear FS108.

I did the following:

1) Moved /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S45pcmcia to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S09pcmcia. Do the same for
run levels 2, 3, and 4 if you use them.

2) Add a line to /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 xircom_tulip_cb

3) Remove xircom_tulip_cb from /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

4) Add xircom_cb to /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

I have not excercised the modem function at this time. It used to work under the
2.2 kernel series with seperate pcmcia-cs modules.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.