Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 5984 - rp3 Crashes
Summary: rp3 Crashes
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 5780
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: rp3
Version: 6.1
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Michael K. Johnson
QA Contact:
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 1999-10-15 15:37 UTC by Ken Prox
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 1999-11-04 21:56:16 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Ken Prox 1999-10-15 15:37:24 UTC
Upon updating a Redhat 6.0 i386 system to Redhat 6.1,
usernet (replaced with rp3) crashes when run (segmentation

All packages required by rp3 (according to rp3.spec provided
in the source distribution) are installed.

A sample stack trace follows:

stat("/etc/gnome/config//rp3", 0xbffff8a0) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
stat("./gnome/config//rp3", 0xbffff894) = -1 ENOENT (No such
file or directory)
time(NULL)                              = 939987808
time(NULL)                              = 939987808
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---

------- Additional Comments From   10/18/99 23:26 -------
Upon upgrading a different i386 machine from RedHat 6.0 to RedHat 6.1,
I found the same results, rp3 (usernet) crashes.

I was able to fix this problem on both machines by running netcfg, and
removing an un-named interface from the Interfaces section of the
Network Configurator. As far as I can tell, the 'un-named' interface
did not exist before performing the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1.

In result, rp3 runs fine.

Comment 1 Michael K. Johnson 1999-10-27 16:22:59 UTC
Could the original reporter of this bug check bug 5780 and see
if it's the same problem?

Comment 2 Ken Prox 1999-10-28 02:52:59 UTC
It seems very similar. Beyond the stack trace, I did run rp3 under
xgdb, and the xgdb stack trace displayed an error similar to the one
listed in bug #5780. Unfortunately, I can not recall the exact xgdb
stack trace error display, but it should be easy enough to re-create.

Comment 3 Michael K. Johnson 1999-11-01 17:23:59 UTC
Well, do any of the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
file not contain a line starting with "DEVICE="?

Comment 4 Michael K. Johnson 1999-11-04 21:56:59 UTC
The strace (stands for "system call trace" not "stack trace", by
the way) doesn't really show what is going wrong; that's why I
was asking about DEVICE=...  The stack trace you get out of gdb
(or another debugger) will tell me more.  I'm going to assume
that this is a duplicate of bug 5780, which is fixed for the next

It's not "easy enough to recreate" for me because I don't see the
error you are getting.  It works great for me -- otherwise I would
not have released it.  :-)  So without the stack trace and/or the
information about the DEVICE line, I have to assume that it's a

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 5780 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.