Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 4942 - SIGILL for host, nslookup, named, and the like on i386 NOT i486
Summary: SIGILL for host, nslookup, named, and the like on i386 NOT i486
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED DEFERRED
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: bind
Version: 6.0
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: David Lawrence
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 1999-09-06 21:00 UTC by Marco Colombo
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 1999-09-07 12:58:49 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Marco Colombo 1999-09-06 21:00:18 UTC
I'll provide more detailed info, if necessary, but the
following shuold be enough to reproduce the bug...
I've installed RHL6.0 on a 486 and then moved the disk
(old ~500Mb IDE) to a 386 system (32Mb of RAM). Everything
is ok, except DNS related stuff, named, host, nslookup...
Name resolution for commands like telnet and ping works.
But host terminates with SIGILL even before showing its
usage. A strace shows that it fails before opening and
reading /etc/resolv.conf. Removing it cures the SIGILL
problem, but of course after that, name resolution is gone.
The same is true for nslookup. On a 486 or Pentium (K5)
everything works just fine. I've tried also to reinstall
from scratch (on the 486, as before), and the new system
shows exactly the same bug when moved to the 386. The 386
system is one of our nameserves which is had been
running 5.2 (and 5.1 before that) without problems (it is
running 5.2 right now, BTW). I moved the disk to another
386 (a completely different system), same results. It seems
the there's a piece of code that is not i386 friendly
sitting in glibc-2.1.1-6. I'll try and find if any other
executable is affected...
.TM.

Comment 1 Jeff Johnson 1999-09-07 12:58:59 UTC
bind (and ~8 other packages IIRC) were poisoned by a change in the
definitions generated when invoked with "-m486". The change, defining
__i486__, caused the inline assembly for ntohl/ntohs to use an i486
instruction that is illegal on i386 to be compiled in. The problem is
(or will be) fixed in the compiler. Meanwhile, recompile bind (and
other packages) from src.rpm's making sure that rpm optflags does not
set -m486.

Here's the list of affected packages:
	arpwatch-2.1a4-10
	bind-8.2-6
	bind-utils-8.2-6
	dip-3.3.7o-14
	dosemu-0.99.10-4
	ftp-0.10-22
	guavac-1.2-4
	ipchains-1.3.8-3
	knfsd-1.3.3-1
	knfsd-clients-1.3.3-1
	mars-nwe-0.99pl15-3
	routed-0.10-14
	rpm-3.0.1-12
	rpm2html-1.1-2
	strace-3.99-1
	tcpdump-3.4-10
	xboing-2.4-7
	ytalk-3.1-3


Here's the script (from Alan Cox) that was used to detect "poisoned"
i386 packages:

#!/bin/sh

for i in $*; do
        X=`file $i`
        echo -n $i
        case "$X" in
                *ELF*)
                        (objdump --disassemble $i  2>/dev/null)|grep
bswap >/tmp/x1
                        if [ -s /tmp/x1 ]; then
                                echo " contaminated"
                        else
                                echo " ok"
                        fi
                        ;;
                *)
                        echo " not ELF"
        esac
done


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.