Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 3086 - Qt apps in RH6.0 segfault
Summary: Qt apps in RH6.0 segfault
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: qt
Version: 6.0
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
high
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: David Lawrence
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 1999-05-27 05:57 UTC by preed
Modified: 2008-05-01 15:37 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 1999-06-11 18:55:46 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description preed 1999-05-27 05:57:56 UTC
Every Qt/KDE application I have attempted to compile in
RH6.0 compiles fine, but core dumps with a segmentation
fault upon exit. This effectively makes many apps useless.

I've attempted compiling licq 0.61 and Kdevelop 0.3, and the
segfault occurs in exactly the same place on both, in libc,
presumably as part of a destructor call or some such; gdb
gives (exactly the same for both):

(gdb) core-file ./core
Core was generated by `./conftest'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libqt.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
#0  0x403ba098 in _IO_cleanup () at genops.c:734
genops.c:734: No such file or directory.
(gdb) where
#0  0x403ba098 in _IO_cleanup () at genops.c:734
#1  0x403845e4 in exit (status=0) at exit.c:62
#2  0x4037bcb9 in __libc_start_main () at
../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:78
(gdb)

Comment 1 Jay Turner 1999-05-27 14:20:59 UTC
This has been forwarded to a developer for further review.

Comment 2 Preston Brown 1999-06-08 16:16:59 UTC
Do you have a clean 6.0 install?  I can't duplicate this on my
machine, and as a KDE developer, trust me, I do a lot of Qt/KDE
programming.

------- Additional Comments From   06/09/99 00:26 -------
I found the problem!

It was an issue with my setup, however others I had talked to on the
licq mailing list had experienced the same thing and no one really had
an answer, so I don't know if you want to post this in a knowledge
base or FAQ or something somewhere so others who might have the same
problem will be able to fix it easily.

RedHat 5.2 shipped with gcc 2.7.2.3 and egcs 1.0.3, which coexisted
peacefully on the same machine.

This version of egcs was broken in some places, and unusable for what
I needed it for, so I installed the egcs team's 1.1b release RPMs.
They must have segmented their RPMs differently than RedHat packages
egcs for their releases.

Because of this, libstdc++ and libstdc++-devel, which I downloaded
with the 1.1b release, did not get clobbered/erased/upgraded when I
installed 6.0. Thus, egcs 1.1.2 was using the 1.1b versions of
libstdc++-devel; and things magically worked until IO was cleaned up
when the program finished (funny that).

The fix is to uninstall the old egcs libs and the current version of
egcs, and reinstall the RH 6.0 versions of egcs, including the
separate cpp RPM.

To reproduce, have a clean 5.2 box, install the 1.1b egcs RPMs, and
then upgrade to 6.0...the 6.0 installer won't catch this (not that it
should necessarily), and you'll be left with a tweaked egcs release.

Thanks for your help.

Comment 3 Preston Brown 1999-06-11 18:55:59 UTC
attributed to bad interaction between the user's interim egcs RPM and
the 6.0 upgrade.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.