Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 232809 - German translation broken
Summary: German translation broken
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: system-config-services
Version: rawhide
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Nils Philippsen
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2007-03-18 08:45 UTC by Frank Arnold
Modified: 2009-09-21 20:35 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-04-25 14:13:44 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Translation fix (deleted)
2007-03-18 08:45 UTC, Frank Arnold
no flags Details | Diff
Copyright sign fix (deleted)
2007-03-18 08:47 UTC, Frank Arnold
no flags Details | Diff

Description Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 08:45:56 UTC
Version: system-config-services-0.9.6

With the current German translation some umlauts are mangled due to some
encoding issue. The current POT-File seems to be broken too.

An example:
Is: "Dienste für den _Bedarfsfall"
Should be: "Dienste für den _Bedarfsfall"

Maybe this is caused by a UTF-8 copyright sign inside an original message of
serviceconf.py. It's probably better to avoid non-ASCII chars inside source
messages. Something in the toolchain might get confused. 

I'll attach separate patches for both. Fixed up some translations too.

Comment 1 Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 08:45:56 UTC
Created attachment 150327 [details]
Translation fix

Comment 2 Frank Arnold 2007-03-18 08:47:39 UTC
Created attachment 150328 [details]
Copyright sign fix

Comment 3 Timo Trinks 2007-03-18 22:09:11 UTC
Fixed in latest Fedora HEAD branch

Comment 4 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-25 14:13:44 UTC
Timo, changing the translated string doesn't help as the problem is with the
source, i.e. untranslated string.

I've found that the problem is with xgettext itself (which erroneously treats
source UTF-8 as ISO-something or so) and that upgrading to the version currently
available upstream (0.16.1) would help (see bug #237786).

Meanwhile, I've worked around this manually and committed a fixed *.pot file as
well as fixed up the translations where I could, i.e. I replaced "©" or "(c)"
with "©" where translations are up to date and removed the fuzzy keyword, or
left things alone where translations weren't up to date.

I'm building 0.9.7 with these changes now.

Comment 5 Timo Trinks 2007-04-25 22:41:52 UTC
Hi Nils,

should've made myself clearer - I never considered it as a translation error,
but sth going wrong upstream (with xgettext as you found out). Thanks for
fixing it, anyway...

Cheers,

Timo

(In reply to comment #4)
> Timo, changing the translated string doesn't help as the problem is with the
> source, i.e. untranslated string.
> 
> I've found that the problem is with xgettext itself (which erroneously treats
> source UTF-8 as ISO-something or so) and that upgrading to the version currently
> available upstream (0.16.1) would help (see bug #237786).
> 
> Meanwhile, I've worked around this manually and committed a fixed *.pot file as
> well as fixed up the translations where I could, i.e. I replaced "©" or "(c)"
> with "©" where translations are up to date and removed the fuzzy keyword, or
> left things alone where translations weren't up to date.
> 
> I'm building 0.9.7 with these changes now.



Comment 6 Nils Philippsen 2007-04-26 06:25:12 UTC
Hi Timo,

I just wasn't sure exactly what you did when you said "Fixed in latest Fedora
HEAD branch" -- I was pretty sure you didn't change the source code ;-).

Comment 7 Timo Trinks 2007-04-26 22:44:56 UTC
Hi Nils,

Nah, wouldn't have messed around with the sources... ;-)
When I saw the bugzilla comment I had a look at the respective
po-file which was ok in terms of UTF-8 encoding...

However, what I should've written instead of "Fixed in latest Fedora
HEAD branch" would be sth like "Not a translation or encoding error in the
respective po-file, needs to be looked at/fixed upstream (either tools or
pot-error)". Now we know that we have to blame xgettext :-).

Cheers,

Timo

(In reply to comment #6)
> Hi Timo,
> 
> I just wasn't sure exactly what you did when you said "Fixed in latest Fedora
> HEAD branch" -- I was pretty sure you didn't change the source code ;-).




Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.