Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 228738 - possible memory leak in automount
Summary: possible memory leak in automount
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Classification: Red Hat
Component: autofs
Version: 5.0
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
: ---
Assignee: Ian Kent
QA Contact: Brock Organ
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2007-02-14 18:55 UTC by Deke Clinger
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:07 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Fixed In Version: autofs-5.0.1-rc2.43.0.2
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-05-24 07:40:30 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Deke Clinger 2007-02-14 18:55:49 UTC
Description of problem:


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.15

How reproducible:

on demand with the automount maps & config I'm using

Steps to Reproduce:
1. start autofs with a direct map of 5000 entries or so
2. watch memory usage
3.
  
Actual results:
automount process grows to 800Mb+ resident size within a few days

Expected results:
I'd expect this process to use 10-15Mb based on previous experience

Additional info:
autofs-5.0.1-0.rc3.10 from: 

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/raven/

seems to improve on this tremendously. 

Stable & reliable automount is extremely important for us here. Thanks for
looking into this.

Comment 1 Ian Kent 2007-02-15 01:56:35 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Additional info:
> autofs-5.0.1-0.rc3.10 from: 

This is the Fedora package.
The RHEL 5 package will have a different revision.

> 
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/raven/
> 
> seems to improve on this tremendously. 
> 
> Stable & reliable automount is extremely important for us here. Thanks for
> looking into this.

You must be hitting the issues that were resolved in 
revision 0.rc2.24. I can't see further memory related
problems following that.

The latest revision in 5.0.0 is 0.rc2.42 and the latest
revision in the RHEL tree is 0.rc2.43.

RHEL5 tracked the the autofs package in lock step until
the final freeze. While there are several patches I will
be proposing for release 5.1.0 the memory leak fixes that
I'm aware of are all included in the current release.

I can make the current RHEL revision available in the
same way that you got autofs-5.0.1-0.rc3.10 if you would
like to check it out.

Ian


Comment 2 Ian Kent 2007-02-15 02:07:59 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> 
> You must be hitting the issues that were resolved in 
> revision 0.rc2.24. I can't see further memory related
> problems following that.

Sorry, this may be al little confusing.
Below the 5.0.0 and 5.1.0 refer to the RHEL product
not autofs which is of course version 5.0.1.

> 
> The latest revision in 5.0.0 is 0.rc2.42 and the latest
> revision in the RHEL tree is 0.rc2.43.
> 
> RHEL5 tracked the the autofs package in lock step until
> the final freeze. While there are several patches I will
> be proposing for release 5.1.0 the memory leak fixes that
> I'm aware of are all included in the current release.
> 
> I can make the current RHEL revision available in the
> same way that you got autofs-5.0.1-0.rc3.10 if you would
> like to check it out.
> 

Comment 3 Deke Clinger 2007-02-15 02:20:10 UTC
Hello,

I'd much appreciate it if you'd put the RHEL5 package up on the ftp server.

-Deke

Comment 4 Ian Kent 2007-02-15 02:25:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Hello,
> 
> I'd much appreciate it if you'd put the RHEL5 package up on the ftp server.

Done.

Unfortuneately, kernel.org has been heavily loaded lately
and changes seem to take a really long time to propogate
to the mirrors. It will get there in time.

Ian

Comment 5 Ian Kent 2007-05-24 03:07:06 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Hello,
> 
> I'd much appreciate it if you'd put the RHEL5 package up on the ftp server.

I think this is resolved.
Have you checked to see if this is resolved RHEL5 GA?

Ian



Comment 6 Ian Kent 2007-05-24 07:40:30 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Hello,
> > 
> > I'd much appreciate it if you'd put the RHEL5 package up on the ftp server.
> 
> I think this is resolved.
> Have you checked to see if this is resolved RHEL5 GA?

Customer has confirmed this bug is resolved in GA.

Ian


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.