Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 226298 - Merge Review: pirut
Summary: Merge Review: pirut
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Package Review
Version: rawhide
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Jeremy Katz
QA Contact: Fedora Package Reviews List
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2007-01-31 20:40 UTC by Nobody's working on this, feel free to take it
Modified: 2013-01-10 10:16 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-07-11 01:07:30 UTC
jima: fedora-review+


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Nobody's working on this, feel free to take it 2007-01-31 20:40:34 UTC
Fedora Merge Review: pirut

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/pirut/
Initial Owner: katzj@redhat.com

Comment 1 Jima 2007-02-09 20:54:11 UTC
Starting review...

Comment 2 Jima 2007-02-09 21:42:15 UTC
OK - Spec in American English
OK - Spec is legible.
See below - Sources match upstream md5sum:
a8f5de528d0491ccbaed671063200521  pirut-1.2.10.tar.gz
OK - BuildRequires correct
OK - Package has %defattr and permissions on files is good.
OK - Package has a correct %clean section.
See below - Package has correct buildroot
OK - Package is code or permissible content.
OK - Packages %doc files don't affect runtime.
OK - Package compiles and builds on at least one arch.
OK - Package has no duplicate files in %files.
OK - Package doesn't own any directories other packages own.
OK - Package owns all the directories it creates.
See below - No rpmlint output.
See below - final provides and requires are sane:

SHOULD Items:

OK - Should build in mock.
OK - Should build on all supported archs
OK - Should function as described.
OK - Should have dist tag
OK - Should package latest version
62 bugs - check for outstanding bugs on package.

1. Ha ha ha

No upstream site, no MD5SUM to authenticate against, no place to check
we have the latest version.  We should probably do something about that.
:-)

2. The recommended BuildRoot is:

%{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

3. rpmlint says:

on pirut-1.2.10-1.fc7.noarch.rpm:
E: pirut obsolete-not-provided system-config-packages
E: pirut obsolete-not-provided redhat-config-packages
E: pirut obsolete-not-provided pup
E: pirut obsolete-not-provided up2date-gnome
E: pirut obsolete-not-provided rhn-applet

on pirut-1.2.10-1.fc7.src.rpm:
W: pirut unversioned-explicit-obsoletes system-config-packages
W: pirut unversioned-explicit-obsoletes redhat-config-packages
W: pirut unversioned-explicit-obsoletes pup
W: pirut unversioned-explicit-obsoletes up2date-gnome
W: pirut unversioned-explicit-obsoletes rhn-applet

These are a bit concerning, but based on our discussion on IRC, I have  
to agree that they're probably a necessary evil.  All of these packages
provided, at one time or another, the same functionality that pirut 
does.  They're all long gone from Fedora, probably never to come back. 
I'd suggest adding Provides for the Obsoleted packages, and perhaps 
versioning the Obsoletes, but I honestly can't say what the long-term 
side effects to that might be.  Ergo, I imagine we need to just go with
what we've got.  (Besides, it's already in Core.) 

4. I'm a bit concerned about pirut's use of /etc/xdg/autostart/ -- it's
owned by gnome-session, but I'm not seeing any sort of dependency on
gnome-session.  This might be a problem.

5. Open bugs.  Holy carp!  62 open bugs!

Address #2, #4, and maybe #5 and I think we may have a deal.

Comment 3 Jeremy Katz 2007-02-12 21:45:23 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> 1. Ha ha ha
> No upstream site, no MD5SUM to authenticate against, no place to check
> we have the latest version.  We should probably do something about that.
> :-)

Someday maybe...  right now, no one else has even expressed interest in using
it, so it's not worth the overhead of having a site, etc.  The authoritative
source is the src.rpm

> 2. The recommended BuildRoot is:
> %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

jbowes fixed this up for 1.2.11

> 3. rpmlint says:
[snip]
> These are a bit concerning, but based on our discussion on IRC, I have  
> to agree that they're probably a necessary evil.  All of these packages
> provided, at one time or another, the same functionality that pirut 
> does.  They're all long gone from Fedora, probably never to come back. 
> I'd suggest adding Provides for the Obsoleted packages, and perhaps 
> versioning the Obsoletes, but I honestly can't say what the long-term 
> side effects to that might be.  Ergo, I imagine we need to just go with
> what we've got.  (Besides, it's already in Core.) 

Yeah, necessary evil of having legacy.  The obsoletes are for the upgrade path
only, not for people wanting to require a specific type of functionality.

> 4. I'm a bit concerned about pirut's use of /etc/xdg/autostart/ -- it's
> owned by gnome-session, but I'm not seeing any sort of dependency on
> gnome-session.  This might be a problem.

jbowes fixed this up too

> 5. Open bugs.  Holy carp!  62 open bugs!

I expected it was over 100 at this point ;-)  Big triage to come hopefully the
end of this week.  Trying to get a few other things in shape prior to the
feature freeze, though, so it remains to be seen.

Comment 4 Jima 2007-02-12 21:57:29 UTC
Like I said, #1 and #3 weren't deal-breakers.  #1 is a maybe-if-the-need-arises
thing, #3 will sort itself out with time, as I understand it.  You fixed my big
two issues with the package, so as long as you work on those bugs, I think we
can call pirut APPROVED for merging.

Comment 5 James Bowes 2007-07-11 01:07:30 UTC
As this is approved, I'm closing it.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.