Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 224074 - address book does not work properly when language is set to Dutch
Summary: address book does not work properly when language is set to Dutch
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: evolution-data-server
Version: 6
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Matthew Barnes
QA Contact:
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2007-01-23 21:56 UTC by Armijn Hemel
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version: evolution-data-server-1.8.3-2.fc6
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2007-02-22 19:51:27 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)
Patch fixing the problem. (deleted)
2007-02-21 21:15 UTC, Patrick Monnerat
no flags Details | Diff

System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
GNOME Bugzilla 405531 None None None Never

Description Armijn Hemel 2007-01-23 21:56:43 UTC
Description of problem:

When I have my system set to Dutch the address book doesn't work properly.
Contacts do not show up when "any category" is selected. It does work when the
system is set to English. I have to support a few people whose knowledge of
English is not that good and this really bugs them.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set system language to Dutch
2. add contacts
3. make new message
Actual results:

Contacts do not show up in "any category"

Expected results:

Contacts should be visible in the "any category", no matter what language is

Additional info:

I don't know if just Dutch is affected. I will try with other languages, at
least the once I can decipher :P

Comment 1 Armijn Hemel 2007-01-23 22:09:20 UTC
I tested some more with various languages (German, Spanish, Afrikaans). There it
works, but it seems that for those languages the category selector was not
translated. If I choose there I get "Any Category" in English instead of "Any
Category" in $LANGUAGE.

It must be some weird translation thing that is preventing the correct working.
How can I test this better (as in, how can I regenerate the .po files?)

Comment 2 Armijn Hemel 2007-01-23 22:36:49 UTC
This actually happens in the dataserver, changing

Comment 3 Armijn Hemel 2007-01-23 22:39:04 UTC
#: ../libedataserverui/e-name-selector-dialog.c:122
msgid "Any Category"
msgstr "Alle categorieën"

in nl.po should indicate where the error is. None of the other languages have
this string translated, only the Dutch one. This is also the part where the
error seems to occur.

Comment 4 Armijn Hemel 2007-01-25 22:01:10 UTC
Removing this line (and thus defaulting to English in this piece of the user
interface) gets rid of my problem. So, I now have confirmation that it happens
because of this translation. Why it happens I don't know...

Comment 5 Patrick Monnerat 2007-02-20 19:57:15 UTC
Same problem in french.

The proposed temporary bypass by suppressing the "Toute catégorie" translation
is satisfactory for now.

I just note that both translations have a non-ASCII character (accentuated e).
This might be the problem, although I did not tested it.

Comment 6 Patrick Monnerat 2007-02-21 21:15:30 UTC
Created attachment 148535 [details]
Patch fixing the problem.

This patch fixes the problem properly (without affecting translations).
The bug was not accent-related: the translated string in the menu was compared
to the untranslated "Any Category" string at menu change time, causing failure
for non-english strings.
The solution retained in the patch is to check the menu item index being 0
rather than comparing strings; this is possible since we know that the "Any
category" menu item is always the first.

Comment 7 Matthew Barnes 2007-02-22 13:01:30 UTC
Thanks for the patch!  As it turns out, I just recently fixed this upstream [1].
 The string "Any Category" is already translated in other places; it appears
this instance was simply overlooked.  But your solution would work as well.

I'll get this fixed in Fedora Core 6 and Rawhide.


Comment 9 Matthew Barnes 2007-02-22 19:51:27 UTC
Fixed in evolution-data-server-1.8.3-2.fc6.

This should hit Fedora Updates Testing in the next day or so.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.