Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 215231 - During text install creation of new raid arrays isn't done correctly
Summary: During text install creation of new raid arrays isn't done correctly
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: anaconda
Version: 6
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Chris Lumens
QA Contact:
: 232237 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
Reported: 2006-11-12 17:41 UTC by Bruno Wolff III
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2007-04-11 16:35:53 UTC

Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Bruno Wolff III 2006-11-12 17:41:58 UTC
Description of problem:
When doing a text based install and creating a new raid array, the new raid
array gets set to using /dev/md0 when it is actually created, even though the
setup screen indicates it will be created using the correct md device.
Note that this does not happen when doing graphical installs.
A possible hint to the problem is that the kickstart log file will have the
device name is mdNone for a text based install, while for a graphical install
you will get a device name like md3.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
It seems to happen reliably.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have a system with at least one preinstalled (as /dev/md0) software raid
partion. And another FC OS somewhere other than /dev/md0 (otherwise it will be
hard to look
at things later).
2. Do a fresh install and use a custom partition layout.
3. Build a new software raid device (in my tests I was deleting an existing
one and then recreating it)
4. I used the new raid device as the only device in the install (other than
swap) so that its mount point was / and it was set to be reformatted.
5. At this point things look good and I continue with the install.
6. Boot the system on the prexisting FC OS and examine the raid devices.
Or alternatively start another install using a custom layout and note that there
are two /dev/md0 arrays.
Actual results:
The new software raid array gets created using /dev/md0 instead of the one
indicated in the setup screen.

Expected results:
That the raid array would be created using the correct md device.

Additional info:

Comment 1 Bruno Wolff III 2006-11-12 18:26:51 UTC
Fix important typo in subject.

Comment 2 Chris Lumens 2006-11-17 19:23:58 UTC
This is because we're never setting the raidminor number in the text interface,
while in the graphical interface we require you to select the minor number via a
widget.  Committed a fix to set a minor number automatically.

Comment 3 Bruno Wolff III 2006-11-18 04:41:52 UTC
If you want I can test this. I didn't see an updated rpm in devlopment, fc6 test
or fc6 updates, so I haven't tested it yet.
This isn't something I really need, so if you don't need further testing, that's
OK too.

Comment 4 Chris Lumens 2006-11-20 15:03:01 UTC
We haven't built a new anaconda package yet, but we should do that today.  There
won't be a new anaconda in fc6-updates since anaconda is special.

Comment 5 Bruno Wolff III 2006-11-20 18:52:12 UTC
Will it show up in rawhide?
I have been making my own respins with a custom anaconda (which is how I happened
to be looking for issues with text installs and software raid) and can use a src
rpm to make a new install dvd.
Again, I really don't need software raid to work with test installs for what I
am doing, but I am willing to test out the fix for Fedora as probably not too
many people try using software raid with text installs.

Comment 6 Chris Lumens 2006-11-20 19:00:24 UTC
Yes, once we rebuild the anaconda package, the next day's rawhide tree will have
the fix.

Comment 7 Bruno Wolff III 2006-11-26 16:47:48 UTC
I don't think the fix for this was correct. I built a respin using
anaconda- and libdchp* from rawhide and otherwise up to date fc6 rpms.
I built anaconda from the src rpm under fc6 with the above dchp libs.
When I tested the text based install, the new partition got a minor number,
but it got the wrong one. I had existing raid partitions of md0, md1, md2, md3,
md4 and md5. I deleted md3 and then assembled a new raid partition out of the
freed up partitions. The new raid partition got called md5, which was still in
use, rather than using md3, which the graphical install did.
It's possible that not having all of rawhide caused some problems (as I will
report on separately), but it looks like this problem was local to ananconda.

Comment 8 Chris Lumens 2007-03-26 14:38:55 UTC
*** Bug 232237 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 9 Chris Lumens 2007-03-28 19:13:16 UTC
I have a fix for this that will be in the next build of anaconda.  Thanks for
your patience.

Comment 10 Bruno Wolff III 2007-04-01 00:03:01 UTC
I retested this with the rawhide boot.iso from Friday morning March 30. Now when
I delete and recreate a raid partition during a text install the new raid device
gets a name that matches the highest numbered md device instead of md0.
I had existing arrays md0, md1, md2, md3, md4, md5 and md6 and deleted md5. Then
the new array got named md6 (as shown in the menu, I aborted the install at that
point) instead of either md5 or md7. When I tried this with a graphical install,
the new array was named md5.

Comment 11 Chris Lumens 2007-04-11 16:35:53 UTC
This will be in the next build of anaconda.  Thanks.

Comment 12 Bruno Wolff III 2007-04-14 14:37:55 UTC
I retested this and it does work for me now.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.