Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 208113 - Review Request: freepops - a tool to get html mail through a pop daemon
Summary: Review Request: freepops - a tool to get html mail through a pop daemon
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 233850
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: Package Review
Version: rawhide
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Mamoru TASAKA
QA Contact: Fedora Package Reviews List
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks: FE-DEADREVIEW
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2006-09-26 14:42 UTC by Thibaud Mouton
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:11 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-01-08 15:34:23 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)
freepops spec with proposed fixes applied (deleted)
2006-11-28 13:35 UTC, Mamoru TASAKA
no flags Details
Patch to remove windows-like encodings. (deleted)
2006-11-28 13:38 UTC, Mamoru TASAKA
no flags Details | Diff
freepops spec with proposed fixes (more) applied (deleted)
2006-11-28 16:41 UTC, Mamoru TASAKA
no flags Details

Description Thibaud Mouton 2006-09-26 14:42:54 UTC
Spec URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops.spec
SRPM URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops-0.0.99-1.src.rpm
Description: 

FreePOPsd is a daemon that acts as a local pop3 server, translating local pop3 requests to remote http requests to supported webmails.

This version contains last plugins updates in a tar.gz separated archive and a script that allows to perform this update during %configure step.
An init script is also provided in order to be more suitable to the FC5 distro.

Here are the output of the last rpmlint version:
W: freepops strange-permission update.sh 0775
A file that you listed to include in your package has strange
permissions. Usually, a file should have 0644 permissions.

E: freepops configure-without-libdir-spec
A configure script is run without specifying the libdir. configure
options must be augmented with something like --libdir=%{_libdir}.

This package also build without any problem in Mock.

Comment 1 Thibaud Mouton 2006-09-26 14:47:29 UTC
The rpmlint error is due to a configure script which is not generated by
autoconf but by the author himself.

Comment 2 Thibaud Mouton 2006-09-26 18:18:43 UTC
This is my first package, and I am looking for a sponsor.
Thank.

Comment 3 Kevin Fenzi 2006-10-01 21:24:37 UTC
Thibaud: You may want to take a look at: 
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/HowToGetSponsored

If you have additional packages to submit or would like to add comments to 
packages that are in the review/new queue that would help sponsors see you 
understand the guidelines. 

I'm also adding the FE-NEEDSPONSOR blocker on this, so sponsors will know to 
look at it. 

Comment 4 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-15 16:31:35 UTC
Well, I only checked this package (freepops) by
packaging issue and not fully checked yet, however
it seems not a few issues to be fixed.
Please fix the following before I can check this
fully.

Please make yourself familiar with the following URLs.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines
Then;

0. For spec file:
0-1 On Description stage:
* Version:
  - Use %{?dist} tag. i.e. use 1%{?dist}
  - Note: every time use fix spec files, please increment
      release number.
* Source2:
  - Executable flags on source is forbidden.
  - Please specify the URL (same for other sources).
* BuildRoot:
  - The recommended BuildRoot are described on
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines
* BuildRequires:
  - openssl-devel
    This is redundant because curl-devel requires this.
* Requires:
  - All the requires written are not necessary because libraries'
    dependency automatically pulls them.
* Patch:
  - Please rename the name of the patch to something like:
    'freepops-0.0.99-configure.patch' so that it can again renamed
    when the content of the patch has to be updated when 
    the original source changes.

0-2 On %prep stage:
* %{update} %SOURCE3
  - Well, doing some work (like expanding some files) 
    except under $RPM_BUILD_DIR or $RPM_BUILD_ROOT is not allowed.
* ./configure.sh
  - This should be in %build section

0-3 On %build section
  - make all
    Fedora specific compilation flags (can be checked by
    'rpm --eval %optflags') are not used.
    * NOTE: Please use the option 'H=""' so that what 'make' process
     is actually doing.
  - WHERE=/usr/
    Please use macros (i.e. WHERE=%{_prefix})
  - FORCE_LINK="-L /tmp/freepops-expat/expat/.libs/"
    This is not allowed because the path /tmp/freepops-expat/expat/.libs/
    is never used.

0-4 On %install stage:
   - install -m755 (and extra)
     Use "install -p" to keep timestamps.

0-5 On %post %postun %preun stage:
    %post: /sbin/chkconfig --add freepopsd
    This means that spec file should have the entry:
    Requires(post): /sbin/chkconfig (and same for other).
    Please check:
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets

0-6 On %files stage:
   - /etc/rc.d/init.d/freepopsd
   - %{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/freepopsd
     Please use %{_sysconfdir} BOTH.
   - %{_datadir}/%{name}
     %{_datadir}/%{name}/lua
     %{_sysconfdir}/freepops/
     All the directories aboveare not owned by any packages.

0-6 For debuginfo package:
--------------------------------------------------
E: freepops-debuginfo script-without-shebang
/usr/src/debug/freepops-0.0.99/modules/src/luacompat/compat-5.1r4/compat-5.1.h
E: freepops-debuginfo wrong-script-end-of-line-encoding
/usr/src/debug/freepops-0.0.99/modules/src/luacompat/compat-5.1r4/compat-5.1.h
E: freepops-debuginfo script-without-shebang
/usr/src/debug/freepops-0.0.99/modules/src/luacompat/compat-5.1r4/compat-5.1.c
E: freepops-debuginfo wrong-script-end-of-line-encoding
/usr/src/debug/freepops-0.0.99/modules/src/luacompat/compat-5.1r4/compat-5.1.c
--------------------------------------------------
   - For this case:
   * 'script-without-shebang' means that this file has incorrect
     permission. Change the permission to 0644.
   * 'wrong-script-end-of-line-encoding' means this file has
     Windows-like (CRLF) end-of-line encoding. Fix this by using
     dos2unix or use: 
     sed -i -e 's|\r||' <file> .
   - Build log says:
---------------------------------------------------
+ /usr/lib/rpm/find-debuginfo.sh /home/tasaka1/rpmbuild/BUILD/freepops-0.0.99
extracting debug info from
/var/tmp/freepops-0.0.99-1.tmp1-buildroot/usr/bin/freepopsd
cpio: freepops-0.0.99/modules/src/getdate/getdate-curl-7.11.0/getdate.c: No such
file or directory
1479 blocks
---------------------------------------------------
     This means that getdate.c should be installed into 
     debuginfo rpm, however, it is missing. Then build log
     (with debugging with 'H=""') says:
---------------------------------------------------
echo " linking libgetdate.a"
 linking libgetdate.a
ar r libgetdate.a getdate.o 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
cp libgetdate.a /home/tasaka1/rpmbuild/BUILD/freepops-0.0.99/modules/lib
cp getdate.h /home/tasaka1/rpmbuild/BUILD/freepops-0.0.99/modules/include
rm getdate.c <- here
echo -n 
echo -n
--------------------------------------------------
     This is incorrect and should be fixed.

Well, then
1. From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines :
* Use rpmlint
  - rpmlint is not silent
    (for srpm) E: freepops configure-without-libdir-spec
    This means that configure doesn't specify libdir. For this
    package this may be ignored, however, you can suppress
    this error by explicitly using '--libdir=%{_libdir}'.

2. From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines :
   = Seems okay but for the issues above.

3. Other things I have noticed :
* %doc
  - I think 'TODO' should be added.

Comment 5 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-26 08:44:54 UTC
ping?

Comment 6 Thibaud Mouton 2006-11-27 21:59:34 UTC
Spec URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops.spec
SRPM URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops-0.0.99-3.src.rpm

Sorry for being so long but I didn't have internet access.

So, I take care about your comments and tried to fix them.
But:
- I dismiss debuginfo package because it is not really necessary
- I still have problems with update, a personnal script which allow to update
plugins conveniently from an archive that I provide in the source package.
Rpmlint considers it as a simple file so it warns about strange permissions.
How could I do if I cannot use this kind of process?

I will now faster to answer

Thanks

 

Comment 7 Paul Howarth 2006-11-28 11:48:59 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> Spec URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops.spec
> SRPM URL: http://perso.orange.fr/gollum-on-the-web/freepops-0.0.99-3.src.rpm
> 
> Sorry for being so long but I didn't have internet access.
> 
> So, I take care about your comments and tried to fix them.
> But:
> - I dismiss debuginfo package because it is not really necessary

Why do you say that? Is this software completely bug-free, has it always been
so, and will it always be so in the future?

> - I still have problems with update, a personnal script which allow to update
> plugins conveniently from an archive that I provide in the source package.
> Rpmlint considers it as a simple file so it warns about strange permissions.
> How could I do if I cannot use this kind of process?

It would be better just to dispense with the script and reproduce its contents
directly into the spot in %prep where you are calling it, since all it is doing
is unpacking and placing updates into position. However, as noted in Comment #4,
the unpacking should not happen in the SOURCES directory (it may clobber some
other files there); you should use a temporary directory within the unpacked
source area (i.e. in the build directory) for this purpose.


Comment 8 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-28 13:35:30 UTC
Created attachment 142284 [details]
freepops spec with proposed fixes applied

Well, there are still not a few issues to be fixed,
including debuginfo rpm issue and the issue of expanding
source in unwilling directory.

I attached a spec file which will hopely fix all 
issues I have mentioned. Please check what I have changed
(because it is not me who want to maintain this package.....)
and please feel free to ask me if you have some questions.

Then:
* as I have said in comment #4, please specify the URLs of
  sources so that the viewer of this spec file (including me)
  can verify if the sources are correct.

I will re-check your spec file when you update it again.

Comment 9 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-28 13:38:53 UTC
Created attachment 142285 [details]
Patch to remove windows-like encodings.

Patch2 in my spec file (freepops-0.0.99-3.1)

Comment 10 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-28 16:23:59 UTC
Oops...

Please change 'install -m???' to 'install -p -m???' to keep timestamps.

Comment 11 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-11-28 16:41:14 UTC
Created attachment 142304 [details]
freepops spec with proposed fixes (more) applied

Umm.. by checking build log,
WHERE=%{_prefix} was found to be incorrect, which should be
WHERE=%{_prefix}/ .

Comment 12 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-12-12 12:48:39 UTC
ping?

Comment 13 Mamoru TASAKA 2006-12-22 07:00:33 UTC
Again ping?

Comment 14 Mamoru TASAKA 2007-01-01 07:32:53 UTC
NOTE:

One month has passed since my comment #11.
Unless I can receive some response from Thibaud within one
week, I will close this bug as NOTABUG.

Comment 15 Mamoru TASAKA 2007-01-08 15:34:23 UTC
Closing as NOTABUG, blocking FE-DEADREVIEW.

Comment 16 Mamoru TASAKA 2007-03-25 13:49:16 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 233850 ***


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.