Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 180362 - Pasting into XmTextField is unreliable
Summary: Pasting into XmTextField is unreliable
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Classification: Red Hat
Component: openmotif
Version: 3.0
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
medium
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Thomas Woerner
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On: 179549
Blocks: RHEL3U8CanFix
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2006-02-07 15:43 UTC by Thomas Woerner
Modified: 2007-11-30 22:07 UTC (History)
0 users

Fixed In Version: RHBA-2006-0293
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2006-07-20 14:36:48 UTC
Target Upstream Version:


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHBA-2006:0293 normal SHIPPED_LIVE openmotif bug fix update 2006-07-19 18:42:00 UTC

Description Thomas Woerner 2006-02-07 15:43:16 UTC
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #179549 +++

Description of problem:

We're using a UTF-8 locale and have a modify verify callback on our XmTextField
widgets.  In this environment selecting text and pasting it into an XmTextField
is unreliable:  sometimes nothing happens and sometimes garbage is appended to
the pasted text.  Everything works properly in the C locale or if there's no
modify verify callback.

Running the application under valgrind shows a couple of memory problems related
to the issue:

In TextFSel.c, around line 1100, the array wc_value is one character too short.

In TextF.c, around line 2934, the size of the array insert_orig is specified
using tf->text.max_char_size, whereas the documentation indicates that insert is
an array of wchar_t.  In our UTF-8 locale tf->text.max_char_size is 6 while
sizeof(wchar_t) is 4, so the bcopy at line 2935 is fetching data from beyond the
end of the array insert.

I've produced a patch which I think fixes these issues.  With this patch we can
paste text into our application reliably and valgrind is happy.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

2.2.3-9.RHEL4.1, though other versions are affected


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:

I've raised this issue upstream at:

   http://bugs.motifzone.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1321

-- Additional comment from rmy@pobox.com on 2006-02-01 06:23 EST --
Created an attachment (id=123954)
Proposed patch


-- Additional comment from twoerner@redhat.com on 2006-02-01 12:03 EST --
Created an attachment (id=123975)
Revised patch after code review.

This patch honors the text.max_char_size for generation of insert_orig in the
same way as ModifyVerify does.

-- Additional comment from rmy@pobox.com on 2006-02-01 16:38 EST --
Thanks for the revised patch, Thomas.  I've tried it with my test program and it
seems to work nicely.  Valgrind is now happy in both UTF-8 and C locales.

-- Additional comment from rmy@pobox.com on 2006-02-06 09:55 EST --
On further investigation I find that previous patches don't work if the
clipboard selection is used rather than the primary selection  (for example,
because XmTextFieldPaste has been called).  In this case ds->value (TextFSel.c
line 1102) isn't null terminated.  I've made a new patch to cover this case.

-- Additional comment from rmy@pobox.com on 2006-02-06 09:57 EST --
Created an attachment (id=124259)
Revised patch to handle clipboard


-- Additional comment from twoerner@redhat.com on 2006-02-06 11:07 EST --
Please attach your test case.

-- Additional comment from rmy@pobox.com on 2006-02-06 11:42 EST --
Created an attachment (id=124266)
testcase

Here's a hacked version of one of the examples from the O'Reilly Motif book
that should illustrate the problem.  I've changed the XmText widget in the
original to XmTextField.

Comment 5 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-07-20 14:36:48 UTC
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on the solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2006-0293.html



Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.