Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 1598386 - msmtp cannot be included in kickstart installation
Summary: msmtp cannot be included in kickstart installation
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: msmtp
Version: 28
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
unspecified
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Gerald Cox
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
: 1601187 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2018-07-05 09:28 UTC by Slawomir Czarko
Modified: 2018-07-23 01:38 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Fixed In Version: msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28 msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc27
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2018-07-17 15:17:58 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)

Description Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-05 09:28:04 UTC
Description of problem:

If msmtp is included in kickstart installation then anaconda aborts installation due to non-fatal error in msmtp's package post install script

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64

How reproducible:
100%

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Include msmtp package in kickstart installation
2.
3.

Actual results:
Installation fails

Expected results:
Installation succeeds

Additional info:
This started with version msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64

The actual error is:
link /usr/lib/sendmail incorrect for slave mta-sendmail (/usr/lib64/sendmail mta-sendmail)
warning: %post(msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp

Comment 1 Gerald Cox 2018-07-10 16:25:16 UTC
Does this issue occur with esmtp?  It uses a similar scriptlet.

Comment 2 Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-11 07:40:39 UTC
(In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #1)
> Does this issue occur with esmtp?  It uses a similar scriptlet.

esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.x86_64 installed OK from kickstart

The difference in the scriplets is that esmtp uses:
  --slave /usr/lib/sendmail mta-sendmail /usr/bin/esmtp-wrapper \

while msmtp uses:
  --slave /usr/lib64/sendmail mta-sendmail /usr/bin/msmtp \

On my system /usr/lib/sendmail points to /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail while /usr/lib64/sendmail does not exist

Comment 3 Gerald Cox 2018-07-11 17:48:12 UTC
Are you using a 386 system?  On my system, /usr/lib64/sendmail is correct.

Comment 4 Gerald Cox 2018-07-11 17:49:51 UTC
Just as an aside (IMHO) anaconda should not be abending on non-fatal errors.

Comment 5 Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-12 08:17:28 UTC
(In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #3)
> Are you using a 386 system?  On my system, /usr/lib64/sendmail is correct.

The installation is x86_64.

Comment 6 Gerald Cox 2018-07-13 00:58:00 UTC
Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand how or why you have /usr/lib/sendmail on your system.  It should not be there.  I'm not familiar with quickstart, but this is related to new installs, correct?  I just tested with another system and am not having any issues or error messages related to the install.  If you are having this problem on an existing installation then please:

rpm -qif /usr/lib/sendmail so we can determine how this is getting installed.

Comment 7 Gerald Cox 2018-07-14 05:47:09 UTC
Changing priority to ensure that msmtp gets chosen.

Comment 8 Gerald Cox 2018-07-14 05:58:45 UTC
Changing default location for 386/x64 to /usr/lib/sendmail

Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2018-07-14 07:05:32 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 28. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-c5c2975861

Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2018-07-14 07:06:03 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc27 has been submitted as an update to Fedora 27. https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-b39e326de3

Comment 11 Gerald Cox 2018-07-14 15:40:03 UTC
This change will unfortunately result in the following errors upon upgrade from msmtp-1.6.7-1:

link /usr/lib/sendmail incorrect for slave mta-sendmail (/usr/lib64/sendmail mta-sendmail)
warning: %post(msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp


If this occurs, simply:

dnf remove msmtp
dnf install msmtp

This is due to the changing of location of /usr/lib64/sendmail to /usr/lib/sendmail for compatibility with other applications which use alternatives and sendmail.  

You won't lose your configuration settings.

Comment 12 Gerald Cox 2018-07-14 21:36:09 UTC
*** Bug 1601187 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 13 Fedora Update System 2018-07-14 23:00:47 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc27 has been pushed to the Fedora 27 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-b39e326de3

Comment 14 Fedora Update System 2018-07-15 04:00:56 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28 has been pushed to the Fedora 28 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-c5c2975861

Comment 15 Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-16 11:57:17 UTC
(In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #6)
> Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand how or why you have
> /usr/lib/sendmail on your system.  It should not be there.  I'm not familiar
> with quickstart, but this is related to new installs, correct?  I just
> tested with another system and am not having any issues or error messages
> related to the install.  If you are having this problem on an existing
> installation then please:
> 
> rpm -qif /usr/lib/sendmail so we can determine how this is getting installed.

It's from esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.x86_64 which is needed by redhat-lsb-core-4.1-44.fc28.x86_64

rpm -qif /usr/lib/sendmail 
Name        : esmtp
Version     : 1.2
Release     : 10.fc28
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Thu 05 Jul 2018 10:41:04 CEST
Group       : Applications/Internet
Size        : 101315
License     : GPL+ and GPLv2+
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 07 Feb 2018 20:24:03 CET, Key ID e08e7e629db62fb1
Source RPM  : esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 07 Feb 2018 10:00:27 CET
Build Host  : buildvm-19.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Fedora Project
Vendor      : Fedora Project
URL         : http://esmtp.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : User configurable send-only Mail Transfer Agent
Description :
ESMTP is a user configurable relay-only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) with a
sendmail-compatible syntax. It's based on libESMTP supporting the AUTH
(including the CRAM-MD5 and NTLM SASL mechanisms) and the StartTLS SMTP
extensions.

Comment 16 Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-16 12:00:40 UTC
(In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #11)
> This change will unfortunately result in the following errors upon upgrade
> from msmtp-1.6.7-1:
> 
> link /usr/lib/sendmail incorrect for slave mta-sendmail (/usr/lib64/sendmail
> mta-sendmail)
> warning: %post(msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
> Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp
> Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package msmtp
> 
> 
> If this occurs, simply:
> 
> dnf remove msmtp
> dnf install msmtp
> 
> This is due to the changing of location of /usr/lib64/sendmail to
> /usr/lib/sendmail for compatibility with other applications which use
> alternatives and sendmail.  
> 
> You won't lose your configuration settings.

On my system the upgrade happened cleanly with no errors. Maybe because I already had /usr/lib/sendmail from esmtp package

dnf upgrade msmtp --enablerepo=updates-testing
Fedora 28 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                                                  1.3 MB/s |  17 MB     00:13    
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:08 ago on Mon 16 Jul 2018 13:58:29 CEST.
Dependencies resolved.
===================================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                       Arch                                           Version                                                Repository                                               Size
===================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 msmtp                                         x86_64                                         1.6.7-3.fc28                                           updates-testing                                         139 k

Transaction Summary
===================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 139 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64.rpm                                                                                                                                                      416 kB/s | 139 kB     00:00    
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                                                                               66 kB/s | 139 kB     00:02     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                                                                           1/1 
  Upgrading        : msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 1/2 
  Running scriptlet: msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 1/2 
  Running scriptlet: msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 2/2 
  Cleanup          : msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 2/2 
  Running scriptlet: msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 2/2 
  Verifying        : msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 1/2 
  Verifying        : msmtp-1.6.7-1.fc28.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                 2/2 

Upgraded:
  msmtp.x86_64 1.6.7-3.fc28                                                                                                                                                                                        

Complete!

Comment 17 Gerald Cox 2018-07-17 04:06:41 UTC
(In reply to Slawomir Czarko from comment #15)
> (In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #6)
> > Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand how or why you have
> > /usr/lib/sendmail on your system.  It should not be there.  I'm not familiar
> > with quickstart, but this is related to new installs, correct?  I just
> > tested with another system and am not having any issues or error messages
> > related to the install.  If you are having this problem on an existing
> > installation then please:
> > 
> > rpm -qif /usr/lib/sendmail so we can determine how this is getting installed.
> 
> It's from esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.x86_64 which is needed by
> redhat-lsb-core-4.1-44.fc28.x86_64
> 


Again, thanks for replying... and if I could take a bit more of your time, I'm trying to understand something... 

1.  I don't see esmtp referenced at all in the spec file for redhat-lsb - unless I missed it somehow.
2.  I do see a requires for sendmail, but it was my understanding here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSendmail
that sendmail was no longer to be installed as a default - so the question is, what is it doing here.

I did notice that if you try to delete esmtp with dnf, it tries to uninstall practically the whole world, so the only way to get rid of it is with
rpm -e esmtp --nodeps

which people shouldn't have to do.

I did find in the spec file for redhat-lsb this:
* Wed Aug 27 2014 Parag <pnemade AT redhat DOT com> - 4.1-29
- Resolves:rh#1133536 - redhat-lsb does not requires /usr/sbin/sendmail

which seems to match up with the NoDefaultSendmail link above - but if you actually read rh#1133536 the resolution is to add a requires for sendmail?

Comment 18 Fedora Update System 2018-07-17 15:17:58 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc28 has been pushed to the Fedora 28 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Comment 19 Slawomir Czarko 2018-07-20 09:20:32 UTC
(In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #17)
> (In reply to Slawomir Czarko from comment #15)
> > (In reply to Gerald Cox from comment #6)
> > > Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand how or why you have
> > > /usr/lib/sendmail on your system.  It should not be there.  I'm not familiar
> > > with quickstart, but this is related to new installs, correct?  I just
> > > tested with another system and am not having any issues or error messages
> > > related to the install.  If you are having this problem on an existing
> > > installation then please:
> > > 
> > > rpm -qif /usr/lib/sendmail so we can determine how this is getting installed.
> > 
> > It's from esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.x86_64 which is needed by
> > redhat-lsb-core-4.1-44.fc28.x86_64
> > 
> 
> 
> Again, thanks for replying... and if I could take a bit more of your time,
> I'm trying to understand something... 
> 
> 1.  I don't see esmtp referenced at all in the spec file for redhat-lsb -
> unless I missed it somehow.
Right, it's not referenced directly

> 2.  I do see a requires for sendmail, but it was my understanding here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSendmail
> that sendmail was no longer to be installed as a default - so the question
> is, what is it doing here.
> 
> I did notice that if you try to delete esmtp with dnf, it tries to uninstall
> practically the whole world, so the only way to get rid of it is with
> rpm -e esmtp --nodeps
> 
> which people shouldn't have to do.
> 
> I did find in the spec file for redhat-lsb this:
> * Wed Aug 27 2014 Parag <pnemade AT redhat DOT com> - 4.1-29
> - Resolves:rh#1133536 - redhat-lsb does not requires /usr/sbin/sendmail
> 
> which seems to match up with the NoDefaultSendmail link above - but if you
> actually read rh#1133536 the resolution is to add a requires for sendmail?

rpm -e --test esmtp
error: Failed dependencies:
	/usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed) BackupPC-4.2.1-1.fc28.x86_64
	/usr/sbin/sendmail is needed by (installed) redhat-lsb-core-4.1-44.fc28.x86_64

rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/sendmail
esmtp-1.2-10.fc28.x86_64

file /usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail: symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/mta

readlink -f /usr/sbin/sendmail
/usr/bin/msmtp

rpm -q sendmail
package sendmail is not installed

It looks like the link is owned by esmtp even if it points to a file from a different package.

I think what was done is that sendmail itself doesn't need to be installed but there has to be a link to a program which can replace sendmail. Which doesn't seem to fit with text in NoDefaultSendmail link.

From reading rh#1133536 I understood that problem was the link was missing so it was added.

Overall it looks confusing.

Comment 20 Fedora Update System 2018-07-23 01:38:41 UTC
msmtp-1.6.7-3.fc27 has been pushed to the Fedora 27 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.