Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 1517065 - [Web-Admin] Add a new Chapter describing "Cluster Expansion"
Summary: [Web-Admin] Add a new Chapter describing "Cluster Expansion"
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Gluster Storage
Classification: Red Hat
Component: doc-RHGS_Web_Administration
Version: rhgs-3.3
Hardware: Unspecified
OS: Unspecified
unspecified
medium
Target Milestone: ---
: RHGS 3.3.1
Assignee: Rakesh
QA Contact: storage-qa-internal@redhat.com
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On: 1516417
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2017-11-24 06:41 UTC by Prasad Desala
Modified: 2018-11-30 05:46 UTC (History)
16 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: If docs needed, set a value
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2018-05-30 17:59:34 UTC


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Bugzilla 1516211 None None None Never
Red Hat Bugzilla 1516417 None None None Never

Internal Links: 1516211 1516417

Description Prasad Desala 2017-11-24 06:41:30 UTC
Description of problem:
=======================
In the WebAdmin document, cluster expansion is not documented. We should have a new chapter describing "Cluster Expansion" something similar to the node expansion we have for "RHGS Admin Guide".

It should cover below:
1. Unmanage your existing cluster
2. Expand your storage nodes 
3. Re-import your cluster

Comment 19 Rakesh 2017-12-10 21:33:22 UTC
Added new chapter in the Monitoring Guide based on the information provided in Comment 8. 


Chapter 3. Cluster Expansion
https://access.qa.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3.3/html-single/monitoring_guide/#cluster_expansion

Keeping this in MODIFIED state till there is a response to Comment 9.

Comment 24 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-13 05:58:07 UTC
There's stopping of two services for Gluster server collectd and tendrl-node-agent in chapter '3.3.1. Commands for Stopping Tendrl Services'. But there's another service running on the Gluster server machine - tendrl-monitoring-integration, it should be stopped too.

Comment 25 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-13 06:06:50 UTC
Sorry the service should be tendrl-gluster-integration not tendrl-monitoring-integration in Comment 24.

Something is missing in section '3.3. Reimporting Cluster'. There's sentence See and nothing more.

There should be link used for 'See Chapter 2. Import Cluster of this Guide.' in chapter  '3.3. Reimporting Cluster'.

Comment 27 Rochelle 2017-12-13 06:41:22 UTC
(In reply to Lubos Trilety from comment #24)
> There's stopping of two services for Gluster server collectd and
> tendrl-node-agent in chapter '3.3.1. Commands for Stopping Tendrl Services'.
> But there's another service running on the Gluster server machine -
> tendrl-monitoring-integration, it should be stopped too.

As discussed with Ankush, when you stop the node-agent (onstorage nodes, gluster-integration is stopped as well so it's alright if this is not in the doc)

Comment 33 Bala Konda Reddy M 2017-12-14 13:38:14 UTC
Verified with latest document.

Section 3.3.3 has been removed from the doc. The ordering in chapter 3 has been addressed.

Hence marking it as verified

Comment 34 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-14 14:49:50 UTC
Expanding cluster is by 4 steps via the guide
1. Unmanage the existing cluster from Web Administration.
2. Expand the Gluster storage nodes.
3. Install the Web Administration components via tendrl-ansible.
4. Reimport the cluster in the Web Administration environment.

The first is pretty covered in 3.1 sections.

- The second is named correctly but content is bad. Because it's about install and expand together.
- Moreover the order is wrong, first expand has to be made then install, not vice versa.
- And I miss the link to install section in Quick Start Guide for the install part.  - - Anyway the install part should be in another unique section e.g. '3.3 Installing Web Administration'

Comment 35 Rakesh 2017-12-14 21:53:32 UTC
(In reply to Lubos Trilety from comment #34)
> Expanding cluster is by 4 steps via the guide
> 1. Unmanage the existing cluster from Web Administration.
> 2. Expand the Gluster storage nodes.
> 3. Install the Web Administration components via tendrl-ansible.
> 4. Reimport the cluster in the Web Administration environment.
> 
> The first is pretty covered in 3.1 sections.
> 
> - The second is named correctly but content is bad. Because it's about
> install and expand together.
> - Moreover the order is wrong, first expand has to be made then install, not
> vice versa.
> - And I miss the link to install section in Quick Start Guide for the
> install part.  - - Anyway the install part should be in another unique
> section e.g. '3.3 Installing Web Administration'

Lubos, 

I've modified the section. Please take a look. Do we need the start the services on the storage nodes or tendrl-ansible will do that?

https://doc-stage.usersys.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3.3/html-single/monitoring_guide/#expanding_storage_nodes

Comment 36 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-15 06:07:53 UTC
> Lubos, 
> 
> I've modified the section. Please take a look. Do we need the start the
> services on the storage nodes or tendrl-ansible will do that?
> 
> https://doc-stage.usersys.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/
> red_hat_gluster_storage/3.3/html-single/monitoring_guide/
> #expanding_storage_nodes

tendrl-ansible start services so no need to start them manually. On the other hand nothing serious if it stays in the guide. It doesn't break anything.

BTW there's typo:
After the cluster in expanded --> After the cluster is expanded

One other note, it's not big deal but I really like to see install as another chapter to properly correspond expansion steps.

All other observations are fixed.

Comment 37 Pratik Mulay 2017-12-15 10:13:55 UTC
Hi Team,

I've made the required change. Following is the link to the updated content:

https://doc-stage.usersys.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_gluster_storage/3.3/html-single/monitoring_guide/#expanding_storage_nodes

Let me know in case of any concerns.

Comment 38 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-15 10:29:22 UTC
There are several issues which has to be addressed for the expanding cluster procedure
Bug 1526343 and Bug 1526375.
The first one could be easily solved by stopping httpd service on server together with all those web administrator services in 3.1.1 Commands for Stopping Tendrl Services.
The second could be solved by not uninstalling all tendrl-* and related services on Tendrl server.
And if we don't uninstall any package on server that will solve both issues together.

Comment 39 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-15 10:44:49 UTC
(In reply to Lubos Trilety from comment #38)
> There are several issues which has to be addressed for the expanding cluster
> procedure
> Bug 1526343 and Bug 1526375.
> The first one could be easily solved by stopping httpd service on server
> together with all those web administrator services in 3.1.1 Commands for
> Stopping Tendrl Services.
> The second could be solved by not uninstalling all tendrl-* and related
> services on Tendrl server.
> And if we don't uninstall any package on server that will solve both issues
> together.

The last sentence is not correct, httpd service has to be reloaded after all. Or, as I suggested, stopped before tendrl-ansible re-install.

Comment 40 Rahul Hinduja 2017-12-15 12:24:32 UTC
For BZ: 1526343 
===============

httpd issue mentioned in bug 1526343 is not happening if the packages are not uninstalled at tendrl-server. This change (removal of uninstalling packages at tendrl server) is already addressed in the documentation mentioned in comment 37. 

For BZ: 1526375
===============

This is an engineering BZ and to be addressed in subsequent releases. This issue will also not occur if we do not uninstall the packages which is already corrected in document. 

I do not think these to be addrresed via document any further as "uninstalling packages at tendrl server is removed"

Comment 42 Lubos Trilety 2017-12-15 13:28:57 UTC
All demands were fixed.
Uninstall of packages on server is not part of the un-manage cluster procedure anymore. Via Comment 40 httpd doesn't have to be reloaded after expand so no need to stop httpd service. However if it happens reload of httpd is enough to fix any issue.
Tendrl services doesn't have to be started manually but it doesn't broke anything, so it doesn't matter.
The install doesn't have special chapter but the order is correct.
That said the guide looks fine.


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.