Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.
Bug 1365834 - [RFE] - Rename RHEV Windows guest tools to RHV branding
Summary: [RFE] - Rename RHEV Windows guest tools to RHV branding
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Alias: None
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Classification: Red Hat
Component: rhev-guest-tools
Version: 4.0.2
Hardware: All
OS: Windows
high
medium
Target Milestone: ovirt-4.2.0
: ---
Assignee: Lev Veyde
QA Contact: Petr Matyáš
URL:
Whiteboard:
: 1405605 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks: 1405599 1543722
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2016-08-10 10:19 UTC by Aleksei Slaikovskii
Modified: 2018-05-15 17:57 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
The rhev-guest-tools-iso package is now named rhv-guest-tools-iso. Also, the ISO filenames were modified to match the re-branding.
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2018-05-15 17:56:23 UTC
oVirt Team: Integration
pmatyas: testing_plan_complete-


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Priority Status Summary Last Updated
Red Hat Product Errata RHEA-2018:1517 None None None 2018-05-15 17:57:07 UTC

Description Aleksei Slaikovskii 2016-08-10 10:19:59 UTC
Description of problem:
Currently Windows guest tools named as Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Tools but it should be named as Red Hat Virtualization Tools

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
RHEV-Tools 4.0.2

How reproducible:
Just start the RHEV-Tools installer

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Put the RHEV-Tools 4.0.2 CD to your Windows machine
2. Start the RHEV-tools-setup.exe from this CD

Actual results:
You will see "Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Tools" there.

Expected results:
"Red Hat Virtualization Tools"

Additional info:
N/A

Comment 1 Alexander Wels 2016-08-10 12:06:31 UTC
Not sure why this was assigned to branding, as the branding package cannot affect the guest tools at all. Changing component to rhev-guest-tools

Comment 2 Lev Veyde 2016-08-10 14:00:20 UTC
(In reply to Aleksei Slaikovskii from comment #0)
> Description of problem:
> Currently Windows guest tools named as Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
> Tools but it should be named as Red Hat Virtualization Tools
> 
> Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
> RHEV-Tools 4.0.2
> 
> How reproducible:
> Just start the RHEV-Tools installer
> 
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Put the RHEV-Tools 4.0.2 CD to your Windows machine
> 2. Start the RHEV-tools-setup.exe from this CD
> 
> Actual results:
> You will see "Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Tools" there.
> 
> Expected results:
> "Red Hat Virtualization Tools"
> 
> Additional info:
> N/A

I'll check where we can modify the RHEV to RHV, but we're in quite late stage in 4.0 to fully modify it, including directories, registry keys etc. etc.

Comment 3 Michal Skrivanek 2016-08-11 06:49:50 UTC
(In reply to Lev Veyde from comment #2)

> I'll check where we can modify the RHEV to RHV, but we're in quite late
> stage in 4.0 to fully modify it, including directories, registry keys etc.
> etc.

yes, so please don't. The bug is opened on a label in installer, not directories, file names or reg keys

Comment 4 Aleksei Slaikovskii 2016-08-11 07:35:06 UTC
Hello!

Why do you want some other info from me? :)

Also, there's only bug for tool branding so I could make another one about renaming dirs, registry keys, etc.

Comment 5 Lev Veyde 2016-08-11 07:52:38 UTC
(In reply to Aleksei Slaikovskii from comment #4)
> Hello!
> 
> Why do you want some other info from me? :)
> 
> Also, there's only bug for tool branding so I could make another one about
> renaming dirs, registry keys, etc.

The needinfo is to update you, since you're the reporter.

I think it's all part of the branding, the issue is that I'm not sure we could change it all at this stage, since it can affect the upgrade process.

Comment 6 Sandro Bonazzola 2016-09-01 07:00:54 UTC
(In reply to Lev Veyde from comment #5)
> (In reply to Aleksei Slaikovskii from comment #4)
> > Hello!
> > 
> > Why do you want some other info from me? :)
> > 
> > Also, there's only bug for tool branding so I could make another one about
> > renaming dirs, registry keys, etc.
> 
> The needinfo is to update you, since you're the reporter.
> 
> I think it's all part of the branding, the issue is that I'm not sure we
> could change it all at this stage, since it can affect the upgrade process.

Lev, can we check how much this affects upgrade?

Comment 7 Lev Veyde 2016-09-19 11:13:09 UTC
(In reply to Sandro Bonazzola from comment #6)
> (In reply to Lev Veyde from comment #5)
> > (In reply to Aleksei Slaikovskii from comment #4)
> > > Hello!
> > > 
> > > Why do you want some other info from me? :)
> > > 
> > > Also, there's only bug for tool branding so I could make another one about
> > > renaming dirs, registry keys, etc.
> > 
> > The needinfo is to update you, since you're the reporter.
> > 
> > I think it's all part of the branding, the issue is that I'm not sure we
> > could change it all at this stage, since it can affect the upgrade process.
> 
> Lev, can we check how much this affects upgrade?

After checking what's involved I think that we'll modify the graphics but not less obvious things like directory and registry keys, as these can create some issues to the users.

Comment 9 Yaniv Lavi 2016-12-21 10:02:26 UTC
*** Bug 1405605 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 14 Petr Matyáš 2017-11-29 17:29:19 UTC
With RHEV-toolsSetup_4.2_1.iso I still see RHEV everywhere instead of RHV, iso rpm, exe file on iso, graphical installer, packages, all those are still RHEV...

Comment 18 Petr Matyáš 2017-12-07 17:46:37 UTC
RPM name is now rhv-guest-tools-iso-4.2-1.el7ev.noarch and iso is now RHV-toolsSetup_4.2_1.iso

Comment 19 Michal Skrivanek 2018-03-08 07:43:19 UTC
(In reply to Petr Matyáš from comment #18)
> RPM name is now rhv-guest-tools-iso-4.2-1.el7ev.noarch and iso is now
> RHV-toolsSetup_4.2_1.iso

there's still a dependency in engine on the name(bug 1552194), please always verify that too

Comment 23 errata-xmlrpc 2018-05-15 17:56:23 UTC
Since the problem described in this bug report should be
resolved in a recent advisory, it has been closed with a
resolution of ERRATA.

For information on the advisory, and where to find the updated
files, follow the link below.

If the solution does not work for you, open a new bug report.

https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2018:1517


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.