|Summary:||Helvetica "normal" font does not display properly but helvetica "bold" does with remote X-client gnumeric|
|Product:||[Retired] Red Hat Linux||Reporter:||Glen A. Foster <glen.foster>|
|Component:||gnumeric||Assignee:||Havoc Pennington <hp>|
|Status:||CLOSED UPSTREAM||QA Contact:||David Lawrence <dkl>|
|Target Milestone:||---||Keywords:||MoveUpstream, Triaged|
|Fixed In Version:||Doc Type:||Bug Fix|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||2003-01-13 03:00:16 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Cloudforms Team:||---||Target Upstream Version:|
Description Glen A. Foster 2002-11-13 17:16:30 UTC
Description of Problem: SSIA. Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): # rpm -q gnumeric gnumeric-1.0.9-2 How Reproducible: 100% (always) Steps to Reproduce: 1. Create a new spreadsheet, set font to "helvetica", 9-point 2. Type text in cell and note the "squares" next to each char typed 3. Press return, re-select the cell with the text, and press the B (bold) button Actual Results: Bold displays properly, normal text does not Expected Results: It all displays properly
Comment 1 Glen A. Foster 2002-11-13 17:23:46 UTC
FWIW, gnumeric-1.0.5-3 (shipped with 7.3/Valhalla) does not have this problem.
Comment 2 Michael Lee Yohe 2002-11-13 18:03:40 UTC
I am not seeing this problem. Please see image attachments. $ rpm -q gnumeric gnumeric-1.0.9-2
Comment 3 Michael Lee Yohe 2002-11-13 18:04:29 UTC
Created attachment 84864 [details] normal helvetica size 9
Comment 4 Michael Lee Yohe 2002-11-13 18:04:58 UTC
Created attachment 84866 [details] bold helvetica size 9
Comment 5 Glen A. Foster 2002-11-13 18:54:45 UTC
Oops, you're right. If I run gnumeric locally on my x86 box, this works fine. I've updated the defect summary to reflect this now. I can re-create the reported behavior as follows: (1) Install Advanced Workstation 2.1 on an HP zx2000 (Itanium-2) and login to X (2) run "xhost +" (3) ssh to an x86 host running 8.0 (4) run gnumeric (displays the window/widget(s) back on the zx2000) ... and viola. There's the ugly behavior. Thanks for helping make this defect report more accurate!
Comment 6 Michael Lee Yohe 2002-11-13 20:26:29 UTC
You may have to re-do the summary again. I've just ran gnumeric with a remote X-client and had no problems with the fonts (see attachment). Are you sure the fonts you are using aren't corrupted on the server machine?
Comment 7 Michael Lee Yohe 2002-11-13 20:27:21 UTC
Created attachment 84906 [details] gnumeric across X with font information...
Comment 8 Glen A. Foster 2002-11-13 22:57:42 UTC
Perhaps it *is* the server-side. That would be Advanced Workstation 2.1 for IA64. Changing platform, version, and product to reflect this.
Comment 9 Mike A. Harris 2002-11-13 23:33:23 UTC
Red Hat Linux 8.0 uses client side fonts by default for GNOME2/KDE/GTK2 apps. So when you ssh to the 8.0 box, if gnumeric is GTK2 based (I haven't checked), then it is using fonts stored on the 8.0 box. Your 2.1 box's fonts are not available to gnumeric in this case. If gnumeric is not using Xft, then it is using server side fonts on the 2.1AS box. I don't have gnumeric installed and handy right now or I would check.
Comment 10 Mike A. Harris 2002-11-13 23:38:34 UTC
I just checked in beehive, and gnumeric from 8.0 is using gnome 1.x and gtk 1.x so it is using X server fonts. The font problem is most likely then on your X server side.
Comment 11 Glen A. Foster 2002-11-14 15:00:19 UTC
I can believe it's related to the X server. I can reproduce this behavior IFF the X server is running on the recently-released Advanced Workstation 2.1 release for IPF (Itanium-2) boxes. I've done it on a Longs Peak (HP zx2600) and Wilson Peak (HP zx2000) workstation, using an x86 8.0 system to run the gnumeric client. These were "everything" installs.
Comment 12 Mike A. Harris 2002-12-19 04:17:18 UTC
Not sure what the problem could be, but I've added Owen for comment.
Comment 13 Owen Taylor 2002-12-19 16:12:00 UTC
Basically, this is a sign of the app trying to use a font that doesn't agree with the locale. If you try to use, say, "fixed" as a font for the UTF-8 locale, then the X library guesses that the encoding for the font is iso10646-1, and renders as if it were a two byte font, even though it is actually a one byte font. Hence the boxes. So, probably what I'd guess is that the problem is that the fonts that Gnumeric is trying to use aren't present on the target box, so font rendering falls back to "fixed". (In Red Hat 8, I'm not sure what gnumeric is using by default; my memory is that it is hideously ugly)
Comment 14 Mike A. Harris 2002-12-21 14:42:03 UTC
Owen: So are you concluding this is NOTABUG?
Comment 15 Owen Taylor 2002-12-22 03:43:05 UTC
It's probably a bug , but I'm not sure it's a *fixable* bug. I'd suggest a reassign to gnumeric, though it may really be a gnome-print thing in the end. The immediate cause here may well be missing fonts on the system where the text is being displayed, but the fallback should be more graceful and shouldn't end up with the boxes. I have a suspicion that this will probaly won't be really fixed until gnumeric gets switched over to Xft and fontconfig.
Comment 16 Mike A. Harris 2002-12-22 08:39:51 UTC
Ok, thanks for the input Owen. Reassigning to gnumeric.
Comment 17 Havoc Pennington 2002-12-22 17:10:55 UTC
I've basically been told by upstream Gnumeric that fixing UTF-8 in the 1.0.x series is too hard and it'll be repaired in 1.2