|Summary:||Installer says cannot allocate memory|
|Product:||[Retired] Red Hat Linux||Reporter:||Ryan Djurovich <rdjurovich>|
|Component:||anaconda||Assignee:||Jeremy Katz <katzj>|
|Status:||CLOSED DUPLICATE||QA Contact:||Mike McLean <mikem>|
|Fixed In Version:||Doc Type:||Bug Fix|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||2006-02-21 18:50:07 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Cloudforms Team:||---||Target Upstream Version:|
Description Ryan Djurovich 2002-11-10 08:33:26 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) Description of problem: Once I have selected all of my preferences for the installation, I press next and the screen that displays all of the packages that are being installed appears, before it starts installing I get an error titled 'Exception Occured'. Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): How reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.Start annaconda Installer 2.Select Preferences 3.Start Installation Actual Results: It showed an error message, not allowing me to continue. Expected Results: Linux should have started installing. Additional info: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 786, in handleRenderCallback self.currentWindow.renderCallback() File "/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 149, in renderCallback self.intf.icw.nextClick ed() File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 632, in nextClicked self.dispatch.gotoNext() File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 150, in gotoNext self.moveStep() File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 215, in moveStep rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args)) File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 430, in turnOnFilesystems partitions.doMetaDeletes(disket) File "/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 1110, in doMetaDeletes lvm.vgactivate() File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lvm.py", line 54, in vgactivate searchPath = 1) File "/usr/lib/anaconda/lutil.py", line 66, in execWithRedirect childpid = os.fork() OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
Comment 1 Michael Fulbright 2002-11-11 15:38:34 UTC
How much RAM is in your system? The minimum for installation of Red Hat Linux 8 is 64M.
Comment 2 Ryan Djurovich 2002-11-12 05:42:26 UTC
I have got 64M, but could it be that the type of RAM is to slow?
Comment 3 case1984 2002-12-28 20:02:38 UTC
I'm getting the exact same error message about 90% of the time I try to install red hat 8 on my Intel Pentium 200 mmx w/ 2gb HD + 64 mb ram. The other 10% it makes it up to installing the zip library files (about the ninth installed file), then fails.
Comment 4 case1984 2002-12-29 03:25:46 UTC
I just finished installing Red Hat 8.0! I couldn't get it to work, but as soon as I allocated 128 mb as a swap partition instead of 64 or 65 mb, it worked! It had failed either right after the installer, or during installation itself at least 20 times, but as soon as I switched the swap, it worked the first time. It may not work for you, but it worked for me!
Comment 5 Michael Fulbright 2003-01-03 02:55:48 UTC
Did using more swap work for you?
Comment 6 case1984 2003-01-03 08:44:58 UTC
Yes, allocating 128mb instead of 64mb to swap worked the first time! Maybe you could change the documentation to suggest 128mb of swap even if the computer has 64mb of memory. firstname.lastname@example.org
Comment 7 Michael Lee Yohe 2003-01-09 14:05:04 UTC
This appears to be a duplicate of Bug 76123. The problem is that there is not enough memory to process the transactions that are to be executed by the installer. Anaconda, in GUI mode, requires at least 64M+ of memory and 128M of swap. You can alternatively attempt to install Red Hat Linux 8.0 in text mode by specifying "linux text" at the SYSLINUX prompt upon first boot. Anaconda, in text mode, is more lenient on memory resources.
Comment 8 Jeremy Katz 2003-02-07 20:47:43 UTC
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 76123 ***
Comment 9 Red Hat Bugzilla 2006-02-21 18:50:07 UTC
Changed to 'CLOSED' state since 'RESOLVED' has been deprecated.