|Product:||[Retired] Red Hat Linux||Reporter:||pierre.thonne|
|Component:||pump||Assignee:||Erik Troan <ewt>|
|Status:||CLOSED RAWHIDE||QA Contact:|
|Version:||6.0||CC:||ckjohnson, jbj, mrbill|
|Fixed In Version:||Doc Type:||Bug Fix|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||2000-02-03 15:46:24 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Cloudforms Team:||---||Target Upstream Version:|
Description pierre.thonne 1999-06-03 05:52:59 UTC
Sorry to chooce the dhcpcd component because pump is not there. I use pump to connect to my internet ISP. I use a cable-modem. I use a network card connected in the slot 0 of the pcmcia connector. I receive well my IP address and all the other address (DNS,...). One thing important : the lease time is very short; only 20 minutes. Until the lease time is finished, I can do the following command without problem : pump --status. If the lease time is finished (in fact the DHCP server (witch is NT I thing, because, I had to install the new pump package)), this command doesn't answer. A CTRL-C and I can goes futher. If I forgot to do that blocking command and I do a shutdown of Linux, I can't do a CTRL-C (normal, I'm shutting down!), I have no other choice to power off the machine : bad isn't it! By the way, the Internet is still accessible, I can use netscape without problem. Pierre Thonne Brussels
Comment 1 Jeff Johnson 1999-06-06 15:15:59 UTC
*** Bug 3296 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. *** I've got RH6 working just fine, except for one problem - "pump". I've installed the latest version from updates: [root@cs2867-105 /root]# rpm -q pump pump-0.6.7-1 and it assigns an IP address just fine via DHCP at bootup (I'm an Austin RoadRunner cablemodem subscriber): [root@cs2867-105 /root]# ifconfig eth0 eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:3E:E0:71 inet addr:126.96.36.199 Bcast:188.8.131.52 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:55484 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:51350 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:1128 txqueuelen:100 Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe800 However, it seems that the dhcp lease is *not* being renewed - forcing me to stop/restart the network interface every few hours, in order to either re-grab the same IP address, or be assigned a new one. Other strangeness: [root@cs2867-105 /root]# pump -i eth0 -s Operation failed. [root@cs2867-105 /root]# pump -R Operation failed. [root@cs2867-105 /root]# pump -s Operation failed. System is an Intel Celeron 366, Abit BH6 motherboard, 17.2gig IDE HD, Netgear FA310TX (DEC Tulip chipset 10/100bt) ethernet card, Riva TNT (AGP) video, PS/2 keyboard and mouse. 256mb RAM. ------- Additional Comments From firstname.lastname@example.org 06/06/99 03:33 ------- My behavior is similar to that experienced in bug #3227, btw.
Comment 2 Erik Troan 1999-06-22 19:34:59 UTC
Have you tried the new pump from the errata? Lease renewal was definitely broken... Please let us know if that doesn't fix these problems.
Comment 3 pierre.thonne 1999-06-23 06:02:59 UTC
I'm using the pump package from the errata. I had to use it because with the original one, i cannot connect to my ISP (cable-modem). So i was using the pump-0.6.7-1.i386.rpm package when I first describe the problem here. Cheers, Pierre ------- Additional Comments From 06/23/99 05:53 ------- This *is* the version from the errata, unfortunately; I applied all relevant updates immediately after I installed the OS. -bill (email@example.com)
Comment 4 Breckin Loggins 2000-01-20 03:00:59 UTC
I've been told that the newest version of pump fixes these problems. (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/) This is version 0.7.3-2 or something like that. Beware that this is a "bleeding edge" release and as such it may not be terribly stable. Anyway, I was having the exact same problem with pump. At first I thought it was a problem with IP Masquerading (since I'm using the box as a proxy server). It took me several days of having the machine work fine for an hour, then not connecting to the internet at all. I couldn't ping any public IP addresses from either the NATed hosts or the linux box itself. When I rebooted it worked fine for about another hour. I finally caught on when I realized that my cable modem company's DHCP server sets a lease time of (you guessed it) one hour. Pump was completely locking up when it tried to renew the DHCP address, taking the entire eth0 interface down with it. If I killed it (using a killall pump command) and then brought it back up it worked fine until it had to renew again. Also noticed that "pump -R" or "pump -R -i eth0" never worked even after I upgraded pump to 0.7.0. Anyway, to make a long story short (too late, I know) I just did away with pump and went back to good 'ol dhcpcd. It works perfectly for my purposes and it hasn't gone down since.