|Summary:||libxml2 random errors in Python application|
|Product:||Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5||Reporter:||Jos Vos <jos>|
|Component:||libxml2||Assignee:||Daniel Veillard <veillard>|
|Status:||CLOSED INSUFFICIENT_DATA||QA Contact:||David Lawrence <dkl>|
|Fixed In Version:||Doc Type:||Bug Fix|
|Doc Text:||Story Points:||---|
|Last Closed:||2007-06-20 20:58:24 UTC||Type:||---|
|oVirt Team:||---||RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:|
|Cloudforms Team:||---||Target Upstream Version:|
Description Jos Vos 2007-02-16 00:42:47 UTC
Description of problem: A Python application parsing XML files results in random (underterministic!) application errors. The same application works fine in RHEL4. Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 2.6.26-2.1.1 Solution: The problem seems to be fixed after installing version 2.6.27-1.FC6 from FC6 updates. I hope this fix is already in the current RHEL5 spins...
Comment 1 Daniel Veillard 2007-02-18 08:38:00 UTC
I don't know the problem you're hitting, there is no special error reported, and libxml2 is used in many places for XML parsing in RHEL5. I guess something wrong happened on your installation, but what I just can't guess. There is no update planned of libxml2 for RHEL5, and no other bug reported either. So please come back with a clear problem indication, as is there is nothing I can do ... Daniel
Comment 2 Jos Vos 2007-02-18 13:37:50 UTC
My scenario: # rpm -q libxml2 libxml2-python libxml2-devel libxml2-2.6.26-2.1.1 libxml2-python-2.6.26-2.1.1 libxml2-devel-2.6.26-2.1.1 # rpm -V libxml2 libxml2-python libxml2-devel ... application fails at random data ... # rpm -Uvh /tmp/x1/libxml2-* # rpm -q libxml2 libxml2-python libxml2-devel libxml2-2.6.27-1.FC6 libxml2-python-2.6.27-1.FC6 libxml2-devel-2.6.27-1.FC6 # rpm -V libxml2 libxml2-python libxml2-devel ... application runs fine ... And when I reinstall the RHEL5b2 packages again with "rpm -Uvh --oldpackage .." the application randomly gives errors again.
Comment 3 Jos Vos 2007-03-23 13:36:09 UTC
FYI: the error is still present in RHEL5 GA. Should I refile the bug as a RHEL5 (non-beta) bug? It seems to be impossible to change "Product" and "Version" for this bug (at least for me).
Comment 4 Daniel Veillard 2007-03-23 13:49:32 UTC
I changed it, everything seems to work fine for me (I'm on RHEL5) so unless you actually give me a reproduceable test case there is really nothing I can do about it though ... Daniel
Comment 5 Jos Vos 2007-03-23 14:20:38 UTC
As an extra test, I just have rebuilt libxml2-2.6.27-1.FC6.src.rpm on RHEL5, installed it (i.e. upgrade libxml2*), and after that everything works fine again. Looking into libxml2's changelog between 2.6.26 and 2.6.27, I see a huge list of fixes (many of them with your name ;-)), so probably one of them is related to my problem... Will try to make a small test case, although I'm not very optimistic that this will succeed, given the kind of errors I get.
Comment 6 Daniel Veillard 2007-06-20 20:58:24 UTC
never got any report similar to your, libxml2 in RHEL-5.0 seems to just work for people, and I don't get any reproductible test case. Honnestly I don't think I can try to chase or fix this bug, it's way too incomplete, no idea where I would start, Daniel
Comment 7 Jos Vos 2007-07-24 13:14:25 UTC
Hi Daniel, I have more detailed diagnostics: xpathEval() randomly (!) gives the matching node *twice* i.s.o. once (say, once in 30 times). I'm using a static XML file that I read in every loop again and a (static) XPath expression applied to that parsed document sometimes returns the matching node twice, i.s.o. once. This happens also when using the etree.lxml binding for Python (until now I used the libxml2 Python module). Will reopen the bug as soon as I can reproduce it (I'm not optimistic about that), but maybe you get new ideas now...