Note: This is a beta release of Red Hat Bugzilla 5.0. The data contained within is a snapshot of the live data so any changes you make will not be reflected in the production Bugzilla. Also email is disabled so feel free to test any aspect of the site that you want. File any problems you find or give feedback here.

Bug 156319

Summary: text boxes in Java applets don't work with new Firefox
Product: [Fedora] Fedora Reporter: Florin Andrei <florin>
Component: firefoxAssignee: Christopher Aillon <caillon>
Status: CLOSED INSUFFICIENT_DATA QA Contact:
Severity: medium Docs Contact:
Priority: medium    
Version: 3CC: clay, mattdm, mcepl, mcepl, wtogami
Target Milestone: ---   
Target Release: ---   
Hardware: i686   
OS: Linux   
Whiteboard:
Fixed In Version: Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of: Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-02-15 11:53:55 UTC Type: ---
Regression: --- Mount Type: ---
Documentation: --- CRM:
Verified Versions: Category: ---
oVirt Team: --- RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Description Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 21:17:42 UTC
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050416 Fedora/1.0.3-1.3.1 Firefox/1.0.3

Description of problem:
Go to a website that has a Java applet that has text boxes.
Try to enter some text.
It's not working, no matter what i type in, nothing shows up.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
firefox-1.0.3-1.3.1

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. see above
2.
3.
  

Additional info:

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_08-b03

The whole thing started out recently. Text entries in Java applets used to work until a few weeks ago.
Trying out Java 1.5 has no point since many sites are not yet compatible with it.

Comment 1 Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 21:23:43 UTC
Discussion on fedora-list, subject "Firefox and Java bug":

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-April/thread.html#05532

Comment 2 Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 21:32:48 UTC
And here's an example of non-working applet:

http://www.terrafly.com/

Pretty damn cool website, such a pity it's hit by this bug.

I've other examples, totally unrelated sites, but they're work-related so i
can't post URLs. :-)

Comment 3 Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 22:20:28 UTC
Per suggestion by Calvin Austin on fedora-list, i thought that perhaps Firefox
does not let the applet get the focus. However, that's not true. There's a site
(sorry, can't post URL) where the applet comes up with one of the text fields
having two weird characters - they look like little dotted squares. I can delete
those characters using Backspace, so the applet does get the focus.
It's just that i can't type in my own text.

I believe, but i may be wrong, that that text field that i mentioned used to
come up with a five-digit user ID pre-filled in. Instead, now there are just
those characters.

Comment 4 Sitsofe Wheeler 2005-04-28 22:27:54 UTC
Might be related to bug #156276 (try changing to LANG env var as suggested there
and reporting on the results)

Comment 5 Florin Andrei 2005-04-28 22:59:44 UTC
answer to comment #4

Yes, it did fix it.
While launching firefox, i got these messages:

$ firefox
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Comment 6 Clay Campbell 2005-04-29 13:49:31 UTC
I agree that this is the same bug as 156276.  As indicated in comment #5, LANG=C
fixed it for us too.  Until there is a patch, we are setting LANG=UTF-8 just
before invoking java, but not changing it from LANG=en_US.UTF-8 for the entire
system.

Comment 7 Florin Andrei 2005-05-16 17:30:27 UTC
Alright, this is not just about Java applets running in Firefox, it's about any
Java application.
I tested Visual Route for Linux as a standalone Java app, and i get the
unreadable characters unless i do a "export LANG=C" before launching VR.

http://download.visualware.com/networkmonitoring/index.html

Comment 8 Warren Togami 2005-05-16 20:03:52 UTC
We cannot set LANG=C by default in order to workaround a java bug.

Comment 9 Florin Andrei 2005-05-16 20:31:43 UTC
Answer to comment #8
Warren, i did not imply that you should set LANG=C. That is just a workaround
that seems to fix the problem until a proper solution is found.
And i don't believe it's a Java bug either. The system was working properly
until some Fedora update, after which many Java applets and applications stopped
functioning properly.

Comment 11 Matthew Miller 2006-07-10 22:09:46 UTC
Fedora Core 3 is now maintained by the Fedora Legacy project for security
updates only. If this problem is a security issue, please reopen and
reassign to the Fedora Legacy product. If it is not a security issue and
hasn't been resolved in the current FC5 updates or in the FC6 test
release, reopen and change the version to match.

Thank you!


Comment 12 Florin Andrei 2007-02-14 17:57:10 UTC
I don't have access to the particular Java Web application where I noticed the
issue for the first time (it was a fairly big and complex application) and
nowadays I'm not using any other Web apps at that level of complexity. Cannot do
tests anymore for this bug.